Saturday, April 6, 2013

Reading note: bicuits and tea

Are you like me convinced that biscuits ( or cookies for my American readers) taste best when they are soaked in tea or coffee?   Well apparently now there is scientific evidence that " dunking makes the biscuit taste more biscuit-y." No really! NPR ( who else) has a great article about British Chef Heston Blumenthal' s  on screen taste test ( using an uncomfortable looking gadget up his nose to measure the release of flavor). 

What biscuits/ cookies do you like to dunk? Personally my favorite ( from my days as a student in Australia) remains the chocolate Timtam, thought here in Bhutan I frequently go for Bourbon biscuits and the occasional cream crackers.

4 comments:

  1. I "learnt" to soak cookies in France and always thought it was a strange (but delicious) French habit... I soak almoat all kind of cookies in coffee, best are with chocolata or the traditional Italian Cantuchi :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So people in Switzerland don't soak cookies?! Craziness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfectly dunking a biscuit is no than an art. More you soak, the higher are the chances that the pulp lands on your trouser rather than inside your mouth.The less you soak, the more awful paste it would make when you chew.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Havent visited in awhile...I loved tea and biscuits while I was in Australia. Arnotts scotch fingers were my favorite. The trick is to dunk super fast and eat the cookie super fast, a slight moist but still crunchy biscuit:-)

    ReplyDelete